- 16 ladyfingers
- 2/3 cup strong brewed coffee, room temperature (or use a good quality instant coffee -strong)
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1 (3 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 2 cups whipped cream
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder, for dustingMaple Pastry Cream
- 2 cups milk
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Split ladyfingers lengthwise and use them to line the bottom and sides of an 8×8 inch dish. Stir together coffee and 1/3 cup maple syrup until smooth. Spoon mixture over ladyfingers.
* In a large bowl, beat together cream cheese, sour cream and 1/2 cup maple syrup until smooth. Fold in whipped topping. Spread mixture over soaked ladyfingers. Cover and chill 15 minutes.
Dust with sifted cocoa just before serving or top with a sprig of mint and a fresh strawberry/raspberry.
• Please note: In my demonstration, I used the following pastry cream recipe as a filling (instead of the recipe above…although it’s very nice also). I added 1 block of cream cheese, sweetened with ¼ cup of maple syrup to the chilled pastry cream to give it a little tartness.
• I also layered my tiramisu….fingers, then pastry cream, fingers, pastry cream, and a little whipped cream on top.
1. In a heavy saucepan, stir together the milk and 1/4 cup of sugar. Bring to a boil over medium heat.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and egg. Stir together the remaining sugar and cornstarch; then stir them into the egg until smooth. When the milk comes to a boil, drizzle it into the bowl in a thin stream while mixing so that you do not cook the eggs. Return the mixture to the saucepan, and slowly bring to a boil, stirring constantly so the eggs don’ t curdle or scorch on the bottom.
3. When the mixture comes to a boil and thickens, remove from the heat. Stir in the butter and vanilla, mixing until the butter is completely blended in. Pour into a heat-proof container and place a piece of plastic wrap directly on the surface to prevent a skin from forming. Refrigerate until chilled before using.